There are many places to explore in Indonesia and one of them is Pulau Samosir or Samosir Island. The size of this island is about the same as Singapore. It is located in Sumatra, one of Indonesia’s provinces. It is proximately situated within Lake Toba, one of the most iconic volcanic lakes in Indonesia. It is in fact the largest volcanic lake in the world. There are many things to enjoy while travelling to Pulau Samosir started from the beautiful scenery, natural heated lake, headhunter culture, and many more. This island is home to Batak people. The people are friendly and always welcome visitors.
What you need to know about Pulau Samosir?
While you are preparing your visit to Pulau Samosir, you might as well find out more about it so that you are well-prepared. This is not only a great destination for backpackers but also for those who seek for luxury vacation. Here are things to know about this iconic island:
- Instead of searching for hotel, you can book a room in one of the guesthouses to stay in during your vacation. They are large and resort-like. You will be provided large room with beautiful scenery of the lake. If you are wondering about the price then you don’t have to worry because it is affordable. The place is also clean and provides basic necessities.
- To learn more about the local culture, it is recommended to interact more with the locals called Batak people. They are friendly and often hold cultural events such as impromptu singing parties, guitar jams, etc. It is fun to interact with them since they are so welcoming. You can also enjoy Batak dance and music usually held on Saturday night.
- Rent and ride a motorbike to explore more the places. You can go from one site to another to find out more interesting things about the island and the people. Motorbike is ideal transport you can rent and the road is in fair condition so it safe to ride. If you want to take public transportation for exploration then you can take local bus operated in the main road.
- To reach Pulau Samosir, you need to get to Medan. Then it takes about five hours from there to reach Pulau Samosir. You will arrive at the harbor in a port town of Parapat. Then you can take ferries which usually leave every hour. However, you will not be able to take ferry over 6 pm. The boats will drop you at guesthouses or resorts you aim for.
- It is highly suggested to bring cash in local currency if you are going to travel to Pulau Samosir. There is only a few ATM machine located in the island and they are often running out of cash or broken. Thus, it is better to prepare enough cash. If you need internet access, book guesthouse which provides Wi-Fi or go to some local cafes. Be careful of the scams when you are going for souvenir shopping.